Saturday 24 August 2013

Day in the Life of a Queen Bee

The Queen bee is one of the most majestic creatures of the insect world. Despite being so tiny, in a world inhabited by so many massive creatures, they still appear to think they that they are the most important beings on this planet.

Exhibit 1: Her Royal and magnificent majesty, Queen Hivian, flies out of her hive on some nameless stately errand. Seeing a clear short cut she accelerates and speeds through a doorway getting a fleeting glimpse of the Human Hive before she'll be straight back in open air and - SMACK! 

"Who dares attack the noble Queen Hivian the third, lone survivor of the great virgin queen war of 2012? I'll tear you to pieces! I'll sting you with my super queen strength stinger! Come out and fight me you miserable featherweight!"

All the while she scrabbles at the glass pane convinced somehow that she will overcome this expansive, invisible force that is clearly far stronger than she. One has got to admire her persistence.

10 minutes later: Finally deciding that maybe she can't break the forcefield, she sits down and pants, her stinger end shaking.

"Okay, okay stay calm. Don't freak out, I'm the motherfucking Queen Bee. My workers will come and find me. Soon someone will realise I'm missing and come looking for me. Won't be long now. They'll bring the whole swarm for me and together we'll bring down these puny humans who haven't even the courage to face me themselves.
But just in case they don't get here for a while..."

Goes back to breaking down the window. Pain means nothing where there is a prospect of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment